Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland (November 4, 2020)
Location: Throughout the city of Bern
- A demonstration, which calls for peace throughout the U.S. election process is planned for November 4–6, 2020 from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM at Waisenhausplatz. It is possible that other unplanned demonstrations also related to the U.S. elections could occur in Bern, including at the U.S. Embassy.
- World Kobane Day: During the week of November 2, groups supporting Kurdish issues are expected to stage demonstrations against Turkish policy toward Kurds in various locations throughout Bern.
Actions to take:
- Exercise caution
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Monitor local media:
- Maintain social distancing, follow hygiene requirements, and follow the Swiss crowd limitation requirements
- Avoid groups that are not following the security requirements and/or local laws
- Review your personal security plans
State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
Swiss Federal Office of Public Health Hotline
+41 58 463 00 00 (staffed 24 hours in German, French, Italian and English)
Switzerland Country Specific InformationEnroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Get Alertswiss, a mobile app by the Federal Office for Civil Protection, to help you plan for and stay safe in an emergency while in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.