Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland (November 20, 2020)
Location: Bundesplatz, Bern
Events: Planned demonstrations, against ongoing COVID-19 mitigation measures are scheduled for Saturday, November 21, 2020 from 1:00 PM at the Bundesplatz. It is possible that other unplanned demonstrations also related to the ongoing COVID-19 measures could form at the Bahnofplatz and occur at the same time at the Bundesplatz, resulting in altercations between the two groups and the police.
As with all such gatherings, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid the area mentioned above and check local media for updates and traffic advisories.
Actions to take:
- Exercise caution
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Monitor local media:
- Maintain social distancing, follow hygiene requirements, and follow the Swiss crowd limitation requirements
- Avoid groups that are not following the security requirements and/or local laws
- Review your personal security plans
State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
Swiss Federal Office of Public Health Hotline
+41 58 463 00 00 (staffed 24 hours in German, French, Italian and English)
Get Alertswiss, a mobile app by the Federal Office for Civil Protection, to help you plan for and stay safe in an emergency while in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.