U.S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland
Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland (February 19, 2021)
Location: U.S. Embassy, Bern
Events: Planned demonstrations, regarding support of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange are scheduled for Saturday, February 20, 2021 from 2:00-3:00pm outside the U.S. Embassy, Bern.
As with all such gatherings, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. There will be an increased police presence however, you should avoid the area mentioned above and check local media for updates and traffic advisories.
Actions to take:
- Exercise caution
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Monitor local media:
o https://www.bernerzeitung.ch/ (German)
o www.swissinfo.ch (English)
o www.20min.ch (German, French, Italian)
- Maintain social distancing, follow hygiene requirements, and follow the Swiss crowd limitation requirements
- Avoid groups that are not following the security requirements and/or local laws
- Review your personal security plans
State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
Swiss Federal Office of Public Health Hotline
+41 58 463 00 00 (staffed 24 hours in German, French, Italian and English)
Switzerland Country Specific Information
Get Alertswiss, a mobile app by the Federal Office for Civil Protection, to help you plan for and stay safe in an emergency while in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.