Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Events: Zurich Police have notified the Embassy that a demonstration against U.S. policy in Cuba will occur on Monday, May 17. The protest will begin midday in downtown Zurich and culminate in a march to the U.S. Consular Agency in Zurich for a rally to be held from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. Local authorities are expecting up to 100 demonstrators. Zurich Police will be present and closely monitoring the demonstration. At present, there are no indications of similar protests in Bern.
Actions to take:
- Exercise vigilance and heightened situational awareness over the coming days.
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Be prepared for potential traffic and public transportation disruptions.
- Monitor local media:
- Maintain social distancing, follow hygiene requirements, and follow the Swiss crowd limitation requirements
- Avoid groups that are not following the security requirements and/or local laws
- Review your personal security plans
State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
Swiss Federal Office of Public Health Hotline
+41 58 463 00 00 (staffed 24 hours in German, French, Italian and English)
Get Alertswiss, a mobile app by the Federal Office for Civil Protection, to help you plan for and stay safe in an emergency while in Switzerland and Liechtenstein