Subject: Demonstration Alert: Bern – Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Location: Bern, Kornhausbrücke, Zytglogge, and Bundesplatz
Protestors and activists are chaining themselves together and targeting public transit routes, including Kornhausbrücke, Zytglogge, and Bundesplatz. Details are evolving, the groups are moving, and police are on the scene attempting to disperse the crowds.
We anticipate traffic disruptions throughout downtown Bern as a result of this activity.
Actions to take:
- Exercise caution
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability
- Keep a low profile
- Monitor local media:
o Berner Zeitung link to protest event (German)
o www.swissinfo.ch (English)
o www.20min.ch (German, French, Italian)
o www.blick.ch (German)
- Maintain social distancing, follow hygiene requirements, and follow the Swiss crowd limitation requirements
- Avoid groups that are not following the security requirements and/or local laws
- Review your personal security plans
State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
Swiss Federal Office of Public Health Hotline
+41 58 463 00 00 (staffed 24 hours in German, French, Italian and English)
Get Alertswiss, a mobile app by the Federal Office for Civil Protection, to help you plan for and stay safe in an emergency while in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.