U.S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland
|Subject:||Demonstration Alert U.S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland|
|Location:||Basel, Bern, Zurich, and various other locations in Switzerland (12 June 2020)|
Numerous demonstrations are being planned over the coming weeks in various locations in Switzerland over concerns about racial discrimination and civil rights in the United States. Some events are expected to attract large crowds.
Demonstrations or marches are expected to take place:
· Saturday, June 13 at 2:00 p.m. at the Barfuesserplatz in Basel
· Saturday, June 13 at 2:00 p.m. in front of the Parliament Building (Bundeshaus) in Bern
· Saturday, June 13 at 2:00 p.m. in the Stadelhofen district in Zurich
Additional impromptu demonstrations may take place in various locations.
While demonstrations in Switzerland are generally expected to be peaceful, they will likely result in traffic and public transportation disruptions. There will also be an increased police presence.
|Actions to take:||
· Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations
· Monitor local media for information about specific demonstrations
· Follow the instructions of local authorities at all times
· Keep a low profile
· Be aware of your surroundings
|Assistance:||U.S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland
031 357 70 11 (dialing within Switzerland)
+41 31 357 70 11 (dialing from overseas)
State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
Swiss Federal Office of Public Health Hotline
Get Alertswiss, a mobile app by the Federal Office for Civil Protection, to help you plan for and stay safe in an emergency while in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.