U.S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland
|Subject:||Security Awareness and Demonstrations: November 4, 2023|
|Location:||Bern, Switzerland (Bundesplatz, Federal Palace)|
|Event:||The U.S. Embassy in Bern informs U.S. citizens that there is a demonstration planned on Saturday, November 4, 2023, 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm at Bundesplatz/Federal Palace in Bern.
This demonstration has been permitted by the Swiss government and Bern Police. Authorities are expecting around 8,000-10,000 participants.
While this demonstration is expected to remain peaceful, demonstrations have turned unpeaceful in the past. Typically, this involves property damage and clashes between groups. You should avoid any protest activity and always remain vigilant about your personal security.
|Actions to Take:||
– Avoid areas of rallies or demonstrations
– Follow the instructions of local authorities at all times
– Keep a low profile
– Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
– Monitor local media for information about specific demonstrations
– Local media sites include:
State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
Get Alertswiss, a mobile app by the Federal Office for Civil Protection, to help you plan for and stay safe in an emergency while in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.