Weather Alert – U. S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland (January 22, 2018)
Location: Switzerland and Liechtenstein Alpine Regions
Event: The Swiss Weather Service and the European Avalanche Warning System report that the avalanche danger is high over widespread areas in the mountainous regions of Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Some parts of the region have reached a level five warning on the European Avalanche Warning scale (the highest threat level). Weather conditions can change rapidly at higher altitudes. Both fresh snow and snowdrifts are highly prone to triggering. Exposed transportation routes can be placed at risk, and some settlement areas are prone to avalanches.
Actions to take:
- Follow the instructions of local authorities and guides.
- Avoid back country skiing or other winter sports in affected areas.
- Monitor local media for updates before and during your travel.
- Monitor websites of the European Avalanche Warning system and the Swiss Avalanche Report website at https://www.slf.ch/en/avalanche-bulletin-and-snow-situation.html
- US. Embassy Bern, Switzerland +41 31 357 70 11
- +41 31 357 77 77 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747
- Switzerland Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook