Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland – May 1, 2018
Location: Various cities throughout Switzerland and Liechtenstein
Event: May Day demonstrations are expected in various locations throughout Switzerland and Liechtenstein today. Please be alert for potential traffic or public transport delays.
Additionally, the U.S. government remains concerned that terrorists are intent on targeting U.S. citizens, including children. Terrorists may employ a variety of tactics, such as violent assaults and kidnappings. In the past they have used knives, guns, and vehicles as ramming devices. They may target schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, transportation hubs, and other public venues.
The most accurate real-time information on security matters is available from Swiss and Liechtensteiner authorities, who have responsibility for the safety and security of all persons in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for information about specific demonstrations
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Follow the instructions of local authorities at all times
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Keep a low profile
- U.S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland +41 31 357 70 11
- +41 31 357 77 77 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747
- Switzerland Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook