While some of the movement restrictions in Schaffhausen have been lifted, the media is reporting that the suspected perpetrator of the security incident has not yet been detained. He is considered armed and dangerous. Continue to follow local media for further information. Always heed the instructions of local authorities.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- Swiss Police Hotline: +41 52 632 83 90
- Contact the U.S. Embassy Bern in Switzerland, located at Sulgeneckstrasse 19, 3007 Bern at +41 31 357 70 11. Call +41 31 357 77 77 for after-hours emergency assistance.
- Call us in Washington at 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- See the State Department’s travel website for Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.