U.S. Embassy Bern offers a full range of consular services to U.S. citizens in Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Many of these services are also available at U.S. Consular Agency Zurich and U.S. Consular Agency Geneva.
For opening hours, contact information and to make an appointment, please select a location most convenient to you.
Note: Emergency Passports are only available at the U.S. Embassy Bern.
Who is allowed into the U.S. Embassy and consular agencies?
For consular services, please note that only the following visitors will be permitted entry:
- The applicant(s)
- Both parents/guardians (and minor siblings) of applicants under the age of 16
- Escorts required to accompany applicants with special needs
Due to security and space constraints, we are unable to permit other guests into the Embassy and consular agencies.
Allowed Items: You may bring one small (35cm x 30cm x 20cm) bag into the waiting room area. Larger bags are not permitted.
You are not allowed to enter the U.S. Embassy with any of the following items:
- Electronic or battery-operated devices, including mobile phones, digital diaries, digital watches, pagers, cameras, compact discs, laptops, portable music players and e-Readers
- Food and liquid items
- Sealed envelopes or packages
- Cigarettes, cigars, match boxes, e-cigarettes and lighters
- Sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files
- Weapons or explosive materials of any kind
Please note this list is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of the security staff. There is no facility at the U.S Embassy to store prohibited items. You must make arrangements to store these items before entering.