Required Documents

Required Documents


Please download this CRBA Check-List (PDF – 228KB), which includes all documents required to apply for a Consular report of birth abroad (CRBA) and first U.S. Passport.
Please carefully review the Check-List to ensure that you are fully prepared.

You are required to complete the following forms

You are required to present the forms together with the following ORIGINAL documents:  If any of the documents are not in English, please bring a translation by an authorized translator. 

  • CRBA Checklist (PDF – 228KB)
  • Child’s birth certificate (1 original / 2 photocopies)
    Swiss Family Booklets are not accepted. Swiss birth certificate does not need an additional English translation.
  • Parents’ marriage certificate (1 original / 1 photocopy)if applicable
  • Divorce or death certificate (1 original / 1 photocopy) – if applicable
    If either parent has been married previously, they must present the original or court certified divorce decree for all previous marriages or death certificate if one parent is deceased.
  • Parents’ evidence of U.S. citizenship (1 original / 2 photocopies)
    I.e. U.S. passport, U.S. certificate of naturalization, U.S. certificate of citizenship, U.S. consular report of birth abroad.
  • Parents’ government-issued ID (1 original / 2 photocopies)
    I.e. passport, other national identity document)
  • Child’s Swiss or other foreign passport (1 original / 2 photocopies)
    If they have been issued one
  • Evidence of name change (1 original / 2 photocopies)
    If either the parents’ current legal name does not appear on the presented documents, provide official evidence of a name change
  • Evidence of physical presence – The U.S. citizen parent must bring proof they were present in the United States before the child’s birth. Please refer to our website for sample documentation.
  • Passport photograph for the child.
  • Self-addressed prepaid C4 Size return envelope with the a Swiss mailing address and the correct Swiss postage:
    • CHF 5.20 Swiss Franc stamps for A+ registered mail

* Please Note:
Swiss Stamps need to be purchased at the Swiss Post Office. The Consular Section cannot provide you with stamps or accept payment for delivery.

Our office is permitted to mail issued passports to France and Germany. However, we require a self-addressed prepaid return envelope with 18.30 Swiss Franc stamps. Additionally you may be charged a customs fee upon delivery from your postal service provider.

Prepaid Registered mail stickers are not accepted.