Eligibility for a CRBA

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth, if certain statutory requirements under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) are met. The parents should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and/or a U.S. passport for the child as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States. A CRBA of a U.S. citizen is only issued to a child who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and who is generally under the age of 18 at the time of the application.

According to U.S. law, a CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship and may be used to obtain a U.S. passport and register for school, among other purposes.  The child’s parents may choose to apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA. Parents may also choose to apply only for a U.S. passport for the child.  Like a CRBA, a full validity, unexpired U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.

The applicants name on the CRBA and first time passport must match their original local birth certificate. An affidavit from the parents is not sufficient to establish a name change.

Children under 18, born to U.S. citizens who are not eligible for U.S. citizenship as described above may be eligible under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.  Further information is available from the Department of State’s website.

For further information please select the description below that best fits your family circumstances.