Required Documents

Required Documents

You are required to complete the following forms

This CRBA Check-List (PDF 452KB) includes all documents required to apply for a Consular report of birth abroad and first U.S. Passport.
Please carefully review the Check-List to ensure that you are fully prepared.


You are required to present the forms together with the following original documents:  If any of the documents are not in English, please bring a translation by an authorized translator. 

  • Child’s birth certificate 
  • Marriage certificate:  An original or court certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by the appropriate authorities in the country in which the marriage took place. If the parents are not married, this is not required.
  • Divorce or death certificate:  If either parent has been married previously, they should present the original or court certified divorce decree or death certificate for all previous marriages.
  • Evidence of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship. The U.S. citizen parent(s) must present his/her U.S. passport. If the U.S. citizen parent was naturalized, the original Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship is required.
  • Proof of Physical Presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s). The U.S. citizen parent(s) will be asked to present proof of their physical presence in the United States.  Good examples of proof of physical presence include school records, university transcripts, tax returns, and employment records. Please ensure you are bringing sufficient evidence to demonstrate the length of presence in the U.S. required for your circumstances.
  • Passport/identification document for non-U.S. citizen parent: The non-U.S. citizen parent must bring his/her passport or other government issued photo identification document.
  • Child’s Swiss or other foreign passport if they have been issued one
  • Passport photograph for the child.
  • 2 sets of photocopies of the above mentioned original documents
  • Application Fee(s) 
  • Self-addressed stamped C4 Size return envelope with the correct Swiss postage.
    Do not purchase the prepaid-registered mail sticker!

    • CHF 7.50.- Swiss Franc Stamps for residents in Switzerland and Liechtenstein
    • CHF 19.- Swiss Franc Stamps for residents in France or Germany

Please Note:
Swiss Stamps need to be purchased at the Swiss Post Office. The Consular Section cannot provide you with Stamps or accept payment for delivery.

Prepaid Registered mail is not accepted.