eCRBA – Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship  under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). U.S. non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.
If you or your child is 18 or over and has not been documented as a U.S. citizen, they should click here to find out how to apply for their first U.S. passport.

Dual and multiple citizenship is permitted under U.S. law. All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the United States using a valid U.S. passport. If you have questions about which passport to use to enter and exit another country, contact the immigration authorities of that country.

To apply, your child must have been born in Switzerland or Liechtenstein and you must travel to the U.S. Embassy in Bern, the Consular Agency in Zurich, or the Consular Agency in Geneva for the in-person interview.

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer YES to all of the following criteria:

  1. Was the child born in Switzerland or Liechtenstein?
  2. Is the child under the age of 18?
  3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  4. Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  5. Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?
  6. You will travel to the U.S. Embassy in Bern for your in-person interview (Consular Agencies Zurich and Geneva do not yet provide this online service).

How to apply:

Click here if you answered YES to all of the above questions and continue with CRBA online


Click here if any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by paper application  


Need a duplicate copy of CRBA?

If you would like a duplicate/additional copy of your Consular Report of Birth Abroad, please visit the Department of State website  to find the information needed to submit your request.
The U.S. Embassies/Consulates around the world do not keep records of your Consular Report of Birth Abroad and cannot issue duplicate/additional copies.

A written request letter or From DS-5542 (PDF) can be notarized at the Embassy/Consular Agency. Please book a notary appointment here.