eCRBA – Frequently Asked Questions

eCRBA is the Department of State’s new online application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).  eCRBA does not require any new information or processes – applicants enter the same information in eCRBA as in the paper application.  This new application method, however, will allow you to enter your data, upload required documents, pay the fees, and schedule your appointment all online.  Additionally, you will be able to check the status of your application online.

Submitting your application electronically is more efficient than paper processing.  It saves time by allowing you to upload your documents, pay your fees, and schedule your appointment all in one convenient online location.  Further, it is more transparent as you will be able to check the status of your application at any time.

Yes.  Security is an important priority for all services provided by the Department of State.  Electronic processing is very secure and has been developed with stringent security considerations built into each design and development step.  Only authorized users will be able to access the online CRBA application and supporting documents.

You can use eCRBA if you meet the following criteria:

  1. The child born in Switzerland or Liechtenstein.
  2. The child under the age of 18.
  3. At least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born.
  4. You can use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application.
  5. You are a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child.

Yes, you will still be able to complete a paper application by following the step-by-step instructions on our website.


You will start by opening a MyTravelGov account.  Once you have an account, you can create an eCRBA application, which will guide you step by step through the process of applying online, including uploading supporting documents to ensure that the application is complete.  Once the application is complete, you need to pay the eCRBA fee online.  Once the payment is complete, you will be prompted to schedule an in-person interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  You must bring the child and the originals of all supporting documents to the in-person interview, where a consular officer will interview you to verify the information provided, review the original documents, and decide whether to approve the application.

A “MyTravelGov” is an online account that applicants can use to request consular services.  You must register for a MyTravelGov account to use the eCRBA application.  You can find the MyTravelGov portal here (MyTravelGov | Department of State ).

MyTravelGov uses to provide secure access your account. passwords must be at least 12 characters and you cannot use common words or phrases.

Follow these steps to reset your password for

MyTravelGov allows for secure, individual access to online services offered by the Bureau of Consular Affairs. Through your MyTravelGov account, you can start an application, review an existing application, see status updates, and view messages from us about your application.

Recheck your inbox and look in your spam folder. Look for a confirmation email sent from If you did not receive a confirmation email, you can try to create the account again or call for help at (844) 875-6446. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If you get the message “We’re sorry. Something went wrong on our end,” take these steps:

  • An outdated browser might be the cause of your error. Try updating your browser to the latest version.
  • Clear your internet browser’s cookies and cache. Depending on your browser, you will find this information referred to as “Browsing Data,” “Browsing History,” or “Website Data.”
  • Make sure your cookies are enabled in your browser settings. Depending on the browser you’re using, you will usually find this information in the “Tools,” “Settings,” or “Preferences” menu.


If you’ve taken these steps and still cannot sign in, call at (844) 875-6446 or submit a contact form here Contact us | They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week or visit the Help Center. can only resolve issues related to account sign in, they cannot help you with consular services.

Beginning October 2023 we have transitioned to a new log-in system ( To access your previous application or continue an application already in progress, you will need to recreate a MyTravelGov account using the same email address you used for your previous MyTravelGov account. You must use the same email address in order to view the pre-existing application in the new system.

The eCRBA application will guide you through the process and will help you understand which documents to provide, as well as what type of documents are acceptable.  You must provide supporting documents to show:

  • Record of child’s birth
  • Evidence of biological relationship between the child and parents
  • Proof of U.S. nationality for transmitting parents(s) (typically, a U.S. passport or birth certificate)
  • Parents’ identification
  • Evidence of parents’ marriages and/or termination of marriages by death or divorce
  • Evidence of legal relationship and financial support (only in certain cases)
  • Residence and physical presence in the United States, its outlying territories, or qualifying U.S. government service overseas prior to the child’s birth

You can scan, save, and upload documents in each section of the eCRBA application.  You must bring the originals to the in-person interview where a consular officer will verify all original documents.

Yes. Currently, the birth of a U.S. citizen overseas must be reported to a U.S Embassy or Consulate before the child turns age 18.

The Physical Presence section of the eCRBA form is the most complicated part of the form. You need to list all dates you have been physically present in the United States. The transmitting U.S. Citizens parent will have to write down all the dates that s/he has been physically present inside the United States. This means that if you left the U.S. for even one day, on vacation to Canada, Mexico, or any other place outside the U.S. or any of its outlying possessions, these dates should not be included on this list.

Tips and tricks for completing the Physical Presence Section of the form are below:

  • U.S. citizen parents should include ALL physical presence in the U.S., even if it occurred before they became a U.S. citizen. This can include physical presence in the U.S. as a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card holder), B1/B2 tourist, F1 student, J1 intern, etc. This also includes time spent in the U.S. without status.
  • Use previous and current passports with passport stamps, previous airline tickets, itineraries, or reservations to confirm your dates.
  • It is important to remember you must only include only time you were physically present in the United States. If you spent five years abroad, then your timeline will have a 5-year gap between when you left the U.S. and resuming when you returned to the U.S.
    • For example, if you were born and raised in your home state, and you only did a study abroad during your 2010 spring semester, then you would list your physical presence as:
      • City, State    Birth date – Date you left the U.S.
      • City, State    Date you returned to the U.S. – Date you left the U.S. again

Additional tips for American parents born and raised in the U.S.:

  • Start from your date of birth and list the dates chronologically.
  • If you moved a lot in your life, then write down when you moved to a different city.  Moves within the same city should not be given their own line.
  • It’s fine if you don’t remember the exact dates of your trips abroad when you were a child.  Try to at least include the month/year that you left and returned to the U.S.  Look for the entry and exit stamps in your old passports for reference.
  • While in high school or college did you ever do a study abroad program or vacation abroad during summer/winter break?

Additional tips for American parents who were not born and raised in the U.S.:

  • Start from the first date that you entered the U.S. and list the dates chronologically.
  • If you moved a lot while in the U.S., write down when you moved to a different city.  Moves within the same city should not be given their own line.
  • If you spent time in the U.S. as a child and want the time to be counted towards your Physical Presence in the U.S., then you may be asked to provide documented evidence of the time: old passports with entry/exit stamps, plane tickets, school documents, etc.
  • If you studied in the U.S., did you go abroad during summer or winter breaks?  Did you visit relatives who lived abroad?

Throughout the eCRBA application, there are several places where you can provide required documents by uploading a file from your computer.  The maximum allowable file size is 10MB.  You can click “attach a file” or “add” to bring up a document upload pop-up and then click the “select a file” button to choose the file you wish to upload.  When choosing documents to upload, focus on uploading only required documents.

No, you will need to request additional copies of your child’s CRBA through the Vital Records section at the State Department.

Please visit the Department of State website  to find the information needed to submit your request.
The U.S. Embassies/Consulates around the world do not keep records of your Consular Report of Birth Abroad and cannot issue duplicate/additional copies.

A written request letter or From DS-5542 (PDF) can be notarized at the Embassy/Consular Agency. Please book a notary appointment here.

No. Applicants cannot apply for a passport or a Social Security number through the eCRBA application at this time.

However, at the end of the eCRBA application, you will be directed to online resources detailing the process for completing the passport and Social Security number applications separately. Passport application can be submitted in person at the time of the interview.

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport.

You can request to replace or amend a CRBA from the State Department’s Vital Records section. Only the individuals listed below can request to replace or amend a CRBA:

  • The individual listed on the birth record (if age 18 or older)
  • A parent (for minors under age 18)
  • An authorized government agency, or
  • A person with written authorization  from the individual listed on the birth record

You can request to amend or replace a CRBA by following the instructions on the following website.

A written request letter can be notarized at the Embassy/Consular Agency. Please book a notary appointment here.

You will need access to the internet and the ability to scan, save, and upload documents in the eCRBA application.  eCRBA also works through a mobile phone or a tablet, using your device’s camera to create images of documents to upload.

eCRBA requires payment using the U.S. government’s official payment site “”, which accepts payments in U.S. dollars from a credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover) or U.S. bank account.

The payment system is secure.  The payment occurs through “”, an online payment system used by many U.S. government agencies.

If you are not able to pay online, then you must complete a paper CRBA application and pay the fees at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate during your interview.

If you cannot complete the online payment, then you must complete a paper application and submit it along with your payment in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

After successfully submitting an eCRBA application and payment, you will see a confirmation screen.  You will also receive a follow-up email, confirming receipt of your application.

You won’t be able to access your application online after it is submitted.  If you need to make subsequent changes, you must contact the U.S. Embassy.

After completing the online application and making a payment online, you will be directed to the U.S. Embassy website to schedule an appointment.

Please allow 5 working days between payment submission and CRBA interview appointment time.  This provides time for your payment to be processed.

Yes, you can schedule one appointment for a passport and CRBA.  Other services may require separate appointments.

If you schedule your appointment online, you will receive a confirmation page that includes instructions on how to cancel or reschedule your appointment online.  Please print or safe this page as a reference.