Dual and multiple citizenship is permitted under U.S. law. All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the United States using a valid U.S. passport. If you have questions about which passport to use to enter and exit another country, contact the immigration authorities of that country.
To acquire a U.S. passport, please see the list below.
Please Do Not Send Passport Applications To The United States
Please select the type of service you require and follow the step-by-step instructions:
Apply for a Passport - Renew a Passport
- Renew an Adult Passport by mail (Book only)
- Renew an Adult passport card
- Renew a child’s passport under the age of 16
- Replace a lost or stolen passport
- Replace a damaged passport
- Apply/Renew for an adult passport – my last passport was issued before I was 16 or more than 15 years ago
- Applying for your first U.S. passport if you were born in the U.S. or already hold U.S. citizenship
- Apply/Renew a second valid passport
- Renew an adult passport (book and card combo)
- Exchange a limited-validity passport (Emergency Passport) for full-validity
- Data Correction and name change (within 1 year of issuance)
- Claiming U.S. citizenship and applying for your first U.S. passport (aged 18 or over)
Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and 1st time passport (In Person)
Life-or-Death Emergencies / Emergency Passports for U.S. Visitors in Switzerland and Liechtenstein (In Person)
Social Security Number
Effective October 1, 2016, all passport applications MUST include a social security number.
Never had a Social Security Number?
Apply for a Social Security Number before submitting your application or submit a signed written statement under penalty of perjury:
Don’t know if you have a number or number unknown: Apply for a replacement card. Click here for further instructions.
Please note: There is no walk-in service for United States citizens who require a service related to passports, citizenship or birth registration. These services are by appointment only.
Third Party Attendance At Passport And CRBA Appointment Interviews (PDF 88KB)