- Required Documents
- Schedule an Appointment
Please note: Emergency Passports are only available at the U.S. Embassy in Bern.
Applicants must apply in Person.
First check our online appointment system . If there is no appointment within 2 business days of travel, contact us. Please provide your full name, date and place of birth and state the nature of the emergency and proposed date of travel. The email box is monitored between 8:00 am and 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday, except for U.S. and Swiss Holidays
For same day emergency passport services, please contact the American Citizen Services section on telephone number +41 (0) 31 357 7011 before visiting the U.S. Embassy in Bern. Please also note the security information below.
Allowed Items: You may bring one modest-size bag into the waiting room area. The size of bags allowed is: 35 cm (length) x 30 cm (height) x 20 cm (width). Bags larger than this size will not be allowed.
You are not allowed to enter the U.S. Embassy with any of the following items:
- Electronic or battery-operated devices, including mobile phones, digital diaries, digital watches, pagers, cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppy disks, laptops, portable music players and e-Readers
- Food and liquid items
- Sealed envelopes or packages
- Cigarettes, cigars, match boxes, and lighters
- Sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files
- Weapons or explosive materials of any kind
Please note this list is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of the security staff. There is no facility at the U.S Embassy to store prohibited items. You must make arrangements to store these items before entering.