- Required Documents
- Submit Your Application
U.S. passport photo requirements are different to Swiss and European photo requirements. Please take the time to read the following as we will only accept photographs that meet U.S. passport photo specifications. The dimensions are the same for passport application forms DS-11, DS-82, and DS-5504.
Your passport photo must be:
- In color;
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper;
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size;
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. Eye height is between 1 1/8 inches to 1 3/8 inches (28 mm – 35 mm) from the bottom of the photo;
- Taken within the last 6 months;
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background;
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera;
- Taken with a neutral facial expression (preferred) or a natural smile, and with both eyes open;
- Taken in normal street attire (uniforms should not be worn). Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose;
- Taken without glasses;
- Taken so there are no distracting shadows on the face or background.
Photos Printed at Home:
If you choose to submit photos printed at home, they must meet the requirements as listed above or they will be rejected. Some printers will produce an unacceptable photograph in which dots are seen, or the image is grainy. Acceptable photographs are printed on high-quality photographic paper, have a continuous tone image that is very photo-like, and show the subject clearly in focus. Please also make sure they are 2×2 inches in size.