Social Security

If you reside in Switzerland or Liechtenstein and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Frankfurt or Paris.  For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at:

SSA Federal Benefits Unit Frankfurt:

SSA Federal Benefits Unit Paris:

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage Service Around the World.

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.

For assistance in English and German, please contact:

Federal Benefits Unit
Giessener Strasse 30
D-60435 Frankfurt am Main

Phone: +49 69 90 5551 100
Fax: +49 69 749 352

For assistance in French and Italian, please contact:

Federal Benefits Unit
4 Avenue Gabriel
F-75382 Paris Cedex 08

Urgent – Phone: +33 1 43 12 27 05
Phone: +33 1 43 12 22 22
Fax: +33 1 43 12 26 23

The U.S. Embassy in Bern, Switzerland and the Consular Agencies in Geneva and Zurich  are no longer authorized by the Social Security Administration (SSA) to provide assistance with social security number (SSN) applications and federal benefit claims.

To apply for or inquire about benefits or a social security number:

Change your address (if you are already receiving monthly benefits):

Report a Death:

The only exception is for first time applicants for a social security number who are over twelve (12) years old and require a personal interview. For all other questions and services please direct your inquiries to the appropriate Federal Benefits Unit.

Apply in person

All applicants over the age of 12 must present themselves in person either at the U.S. Embassy in Bern or Consular Agencies in Geneva or Zurich.  Please visit our home page to learn more on how to schedule an appointment.

  1. Complete a SSN application, Form SS5. Click here (PDF 234 KB) to download.
  2. Provide the following original documents and photocopies of the original
  • Proof of citizenship
    Original U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport
  • Proof of age
    Original U.S. or foreign birth certificate
  • Proof of identity
    Current photo ID
  • Proof of absence (for U.S. born applicants)
    The proof that you have lived outside the U.S. explaining why you do not yet have a Social Security Number.  This can include school certificates, medical records, work contracts, Wohnsitzbescheinigung/certificats de residence.