November 9, 2017
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Possible demonstrations in Bern from November 9th to November 13th, 2017
Postings on social media are calling for demonstrations from November 9th to November 13th, 2017, in response to the Migration Summit that will be held in Bern this Sunday and Monday. The demonstrations are expected to take place in the vicinity of the Bundeshaus and throughout old town Bern. Please monitor local media/news for further information.
In addition to possible demonstrations, there will be road closures and disruptions to public transportation during the summit. Please refer to the BernMobil website for further information.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- In case of emergency, contact the U.S. Embassy Bern in Switzerland, located at Sulgeneckstrasse 19, 3007 Bern at +41 31 357 70 11, Monday to Friday 8 a.m.to 5 p.m. Call +41 31 357 77 77 for after-hours emergency assistance.
- Call us in Washington at 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Europe Travel Alert, and Switzerland Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.