Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status

  1. Lost/Stolen/Expired Green Card (Boarding Foil)
  2. Returning Resident Visa (SB-1)
  3. Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status

If you no longer wish to reside in the United States, or if you are otherwise subject to loss of permanent resident status, you need formally abandon your status by completing Form I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Status). Mail the form I-407, along with your Permanent Resident Card (green card), to the address below. A copy of the form signed by our Consul will be returned to you. Therefore please include a self-addressed stamped envelope. We will normally be able to process the Abandonment within ten business days.

Embassy of the United States of America
Immigrant Visa Unit
P.O. Box
3001 Bern

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply for a Nonimmigrant Visa nor to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.

Please Note: Residents of Switzerland who wish to surrender their Green Cards should mail their completed I-407 form and Green Card to the U.S. Embassy in Bern. Once the Bern Immigrant Visa Unit receives your completed I-407 form and Green Card, we will provide you with a copy of the form signed by a Consul. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), many banks, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection require this confirmation form as evidence of abandonment of claim to immigrant intent. Please note that Green Cards sent to the USCIS Service Center in London or to another U.S. Embassy will not receive a confirmation of abandonment. If you sent your I-407 form and Green Card to another post, we will not be able to track it, or provide you with a copy.