The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bern is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.
Diplomats and Foreign Government Officials
Information Before Your Interview
- You are strongly advised to not book your travel before you have received your visa.
- Your passport and visa will be delivered only to a mailing address in Switzerland or Liechtenstein. If you do not have a mailing address within these countries, please begin your application from the country in which you reside. Find your country of residence on the list of U.S. embassies and consulates: https://www.usembassy.gov/
- Average delivery and processing time following the visa interview is a minimum of five (5) business days.
- U.S. Embassy Bern does not permit pickup of visas in person.
- The only return delivery option available is registered mail A+ postage via Swiss Post. You will not have to sign for the envelope when it arrives.
- U.S. Embassy Bern is unable to refund a mistaken transfer of funds. Verify that your fee amounts are correct before transferring funds.
Check your U.S. Departure and Entry Records
Visiting the Embassy
Directions to the U.S. Embassy:
The U.S. Embassy is within walking distance of Bern Hauptbahnhof (main station) approximately one mile (1.6 km) away. Click here for an interactive map of the embassy location.
By Public Transportation:
Passengers arriving by train should consult the maps posted throughout the station for Tram 9 Wabern (blue arrow) and use the escalators or stairways of the main exit to reach street level.
- Proceed to the tram stop right opposite the main terminal. It is situated between the Heiliggeist church and the bank UBS. Make sure the destination on the tram is WABERN.
Get off the tram at stop “Monbijou” (2nd stop from train station).
Walk back uphill approximately 150 yards/meters (opposite the tram’s direction), take the first street to your right (Kapellenstrasse). Continue on Kapellenstrasse until you reach Sulgeneckstrasse (about 300 yards/meters). The embassy is the white office building on the other side of the street with the security fence around it.
- Driving to Bern from Zurich/Basel/Lausanne on the A1, change to the A6 in the direction of Thun/Interlaken as you approach Bern;
- Take exit Bern-Ostring;
- Follow the tram lines and blue signs for Lausanne/Fribourg;
- Go three-quarters around the second roundabout, still in the direction Lausanne/Fribourg, continue straight past the next three traffic lights;
- After the third light, you will drive onto a four-lane bridge crossing the river, merge into the far right lane as you cross the river (do not drive into the underpass);
- Take a right turn at the next intersection into Monbijoustrasse and another immediate right into Giessereiweg which will soon turn into Sulgenrain (follow the white sign for Zentrum);
- Follow Sulgenrain until you arrive at Sulgeneckstrasse and turn left;
- After approximately 200 yards/meters you will find the embassy to your right with the security fence around it.
- Since Sulgeneckstrasse is a one-way street, it is advisable to park your car soon after you enter the street. There is limited pay parking around the Embassy; you may have to park one to two blocks away. Limited blue zone parking is available on Rainmattstrasse (first street to the right after embassy building).
To contact a customer service representative, please visit the GSS Contact Us page for full information or use contact information below:
- Email: To reach a customer service representative via email, please write to support-Switzerland@ustraveldocs.com.
- Telephone: Please contact a customer service representative using one of these telephone numbers:
- Callers in Switzerland: Call +41(0)315800033 or +41(0)435084000.
- Callers in the United States: Call 1-703-520-2561.
Skype: To use Skype to speak to a customer service representative during regular hours of operation, add a new contact to your Skype account with the Skype name ustraveldocs-Switzerland.
Warning: Please make sure to verify the Skype ID of the US Visa Service Desk before adding it. Our helpline Skype ID is ustraveldocs-Switzerland. We are aware of instances where imposters who use similar Skype names and have purported to be related to the US Visa Service Desk, and have advised applicants to pay the fees via Western Union or Moneygram. Please note that our visa processing partner does not support such payment options. We strongly advise you to verify payment instructions on our partner’s Bank and Payment options page before paying your MRV Fee.