Required Documents for Official Visas (A / G Visa)
When the purpose of your travel is an official mission or an assignment for a foreign government or international organization, please be sure to select either “FOREIGN GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL” or “INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION EMPLOYEE” accordingly then specify. Incorrect forms will be returned to you.
You will need the following documents for official visas A/G:
- Your original diplomatic, official, national passport or laissez-passer, valid for at least six months from the date of departure from the United States, and any expired passports with previous U.S. visas.
- One recent (less than 6 months old), full-face clear photo (in color only) with white background (must be 5x5cm) per applicant. Photo requirements (http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ch/ch-niv-photoinfo.asp). If you are not a Swiss citizen, a copy of the front and back of your Swiss residency permit or Carte de legitimation.
- One confirmation page of the DS-160 (https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/) for each person traveling, including one form per child. Only forms filled out online will be accepted. Incorrect, incomplete and erroneous forms will lead to delays.
- Original diplomatic note from the relevant Mission or International Organization stating applicant’s position, purpose of trip, itinerary, duration of contract and authorized signature.
- Self-addressed stamped envelope (address needs to be in Switzerland or Liechtenstein; we advise to put CHF 6.— stamps to have the mail registered).
For all visas that are of official purpose there is normally no physical presence required, so applications can be submitted by post to the following address:
VISA SECTION / DIP
No fee is charged if the visa is being issued in a Diplomatic passport or the purpose of a trip is official.
Processing time will take a minimum of 24 hours in emergencies due to required processing. Average processing time is one week. In certain cases additional administrative processing is needed, this may influence the processing time of individual visa cases. Timing will vary based on the individual circumstances of each case. Visa applicants are reminded to apply early for their visa, well in advance of the anticipated travel date.
Travelers conducting diplomatic or official business are not eligible for Visa Waiver Program travel.