Required Documents for Tourist Visas
Career diplomats who want to apply for a tourist visa on their diplomatic passport will need the following documents:
- Original Diplomatic passport
- One recent (less than 6 months old), full-face clear photo (in color only) with white background (must be 5x5cm) per applicant. photo requirements
- If you are not a Swiss citizen, a copy of your Swiss residency permit or Carte de legitimation.
- One confirmation page of the DS-160 for each person traveling, including one form per infant and child. Only completed online forms will be accepted. Incorrect, incomplete and erroneous forms will lead to delays.
- Diplomatic note from the applicant’s Mission stating applicant’s position, purpose of travel and itinerary.
- Self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Processing time will take a minimum of 24 hours in emergencies due to required processing. Average processing time is one week. In certain cases additional administrative processing is needed, this may influence the processing time of individual visa cases. Timing will vary based on the individual circumstances of each case. Visa applicants are reminded to apply early for their visa, well in advance of the anticipated travel date.
Appointments will be made for holders of diplomatic passports on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday morning. Please send an email to BernNIVDip@state.gov to arrange an appointment.
All travelers on non-official business, using regular or official passports, may refer to the following website: www.ustraveldocs.com/ch in order to pay the fee and schedule an appointment.
Diplomatic passport holders are exempt from paying the visa fee.